Journey to my Family




By Henry Butterfield

 Hi ,I’m Henry I was adopted from Liberia, which is in west Africa.  It all started with me getting put in an orphanage when I was 6 years old because my birth mother was young and unable to take care of me. She did not have a lot of money and she wanted to go to school. Most of the time my grandmother would watch me but she moved away and was unable to help my birth mom. One day my birth mom took me in a cab and we went to an orphanage.  I can’t really remember if she hugged me and said bye or not. I think she was crying, I know I was crying. When I was in the orphanage I did not like it at all. I had to sleep on the floor with one of the ladies that worked there. We each had a bowl of rice a day that we ate half of for breakfast and we had the rest for diner. The older kids there weren't very nice to the younger kids like me, I was 6. After being in the orphanage for a little while I was told that I was going to be adopted by a family in America. I remember waiting in the orphanage wondering what my new mom was going to be like, I worried about her being nice or not. The next thing I remember is meeting my mom, Julie Butterfield. My mom knew she was going to adopt someday even when she was when 9 years old but she didn't know who or where from.


   She flew all the way from the United States to come pick me up. I remember being confused and not understanding why I was being adopted or why I was in the orphanage.   When my mom got to the orphanage she said hi to me and said that she was going to be my new mom, she also adopted a little girl named Johanna and my mom explained that she would be my sister. I felt better after my mom explained to me what was going on and I remember being worried about my new sister because I could tell she was very sick. When I first met my mom and Johanna I was shy and quiet but once I got to know my mom better I started to be myself. I remember being very excited because I felt like it was a new adventure and I really wanted to see America. We stayed at a guest house and then we took many plan rides and finally we got to the United States. I was excited to be on the airplane and loved all the food. On the airplane I had my first taste of ice cream and I didn’t like it cause I thought it was too cold, I remember my mom laughing at me when I would scream “ to cold Mommy” after taking a bite. It was a long plane ride and I remember being very happy and excited to see my new home. When I got off the plane I met my whole family for the first time. I felt overwhelmed when I first met everyone, because they all ran towards me and gave me hugs and I had no idea who they were. They were all so happy to meet me and that made me feel happy. At first I was shy and quiet my brother Jonah gave me a build a bear that he made and my sister Mekella gave my sister Jojo Build A Bear as well.

    The next day after I met my family I went to the hospital to see my sister Jojo who was sick and I got to eat Chinese food, which I thought was American. My dad Chris was amazed by how fast that I ate the food put in front of me. I thought the food was amazing and I wanted more. Pizza also became my favorite food really fast. Food was important to me because in Liberia there was many times we had no food. When I got my new home I would hide food under my bed because I was worried we would run out. My mom caught me hiding food and so she took me to Wal-Mart and told me that’s why we will never run out! I told her “this is heaven” I just couldn't believe how much food there was. At first know body could understand me because I still had the African accent. When ever I got hurt I would not cry in front of any body because in Africa you would get beaten for crying. Also, I had a terrible lying problem because that’s what everybody did in Africa. I even lied about my age to get in the orphanage, I said I was 4 so could get in to the orphanage, and so my mom brought me cloths that were size 4. I insisted on wearing them anyway because I never have ever gotten new close before and didn't care that the didn't fit .My mom tried to get my real age out of me by saying smaller kids get less presents for their birthday than bigger kids, she also told me I had to take naps because that’s what little kids do and I finally I cracked and told my parents my real age (apparently my mom new all along but wanted me to admit the truth).  My mom and I had to learn a lot about each other when she first adopted me. I remember my mom telling me that I had to go to the doctor to get a shot. I got scared and freaked out cause I thought she meant the doctor was going to shoot me with a gun. After going back and forth my mom figured out that we say vaccine in Liberia and that’s why I didn't understand what she was telling me. We had many funny moments like that.


    I quickly learned that my family members are my best friends. I always have someone to play, if I wasn't battling light sabers with my brother I would be pretending to be castaways on an island with my sisters Jojo and Mekella. At first it was a little strange for me to cuddle with my mom and dad because I wasn't sure why we were cuddling, in Africa I never really cuddled with anyone. If you’re wondering, I did get in fights with my brothers and sisters but we fight just like any other siblings. We always worked out our fights and moved on. I was independent because when I was in Africa I grew up with many cousins in a very small household. When I got to America the houses were so much bigger and less family living in the home, I got a lot more attention and it made me feel special. At school all the kids and teachers loved the story of my background and they thought it was amazing. There were other kids at the school I could relate with and we became friends almost immediately. Almost every day I felt like I was being spoiled and I was thankful. To tell you the honest truth I felt loved. My family supported me in everything I did from sports to other decisions. My family was and still always there. Throughout everything I did and now even at 13 my family supports me at my football games, school and so much more. My family loves me and I love them. Sometimes I am asked “do you feel like you don’t belong in your family because you were adopted?” My answer is no. I feel like I belong in this family because I am a part of this family. All the stories and memories my family has make us who we are, together. Sometimes I think to myself what my life would be like If I didn't get adopted. I probably would be hungry, working on the streets with no education. I thank God for the life he has given me. 
By Henry Butterfield


Comments

Popular Posts