Adoption from a Birth Child's Point Of View (Butterfield Adoption)

  " The previous blog was about "why I chose adoption" but there is much more to this story. I asked my children to write about the adoption from their point of view. Starting from the Birth child's experience to the adopted child's experience  I thought it would be interesting to share their part of the story (without my influence). This first story was written by my birth daughter Mekella who was 3 years old at the time of the adoption and is now 10 years old. She wanted to share her thoughts and experience with you all!"

          
                    MY ADOPTED FAMILY

Adoption is wonderful for my family. I have one beautiful little sister which I love. I also have a great big BROTHER. I wrote this blog to tell you all I remember from the great experience.

                    
                     The First Memory 

   The thing I remember MOST IS walking in new life church with my mom looking around my mom told me to listen close, she said THAT SOON I will  have a brother and sister and they will be different than YOU. I  thought that I would have a big sister but I am happy I have a little sister and big brother. I remember my mom leaving to Africa. I  knew I was going to miss her but I was very happy.

           In the hospital
   When my mom got back she went straight to the HOSPITAL. I was so WORRIED. when I was at the hospital I REMEMBER SEEING all my family there that made me more nervous. I also was kind of freaked out by my brothers and sisters being brown.  in jojo`s hospital ROOM I remember there was a small crib holding her she had many tubes on her. she looked like an alien to me. I gave her stuffed bunny that I had made for her at build a bear that said “I love you when you hug it.” sometimes I was allowed to feed jojo I would get her food and her little spoon I would climb in her crib and feed her, I also would lay with her. Eventually she got better and we got to bring her home even though she had to be on oxygen for a while. I first it was kind of hard to learn about my new brother and sister. it was hard to understand my brother and I have to say I was a little jealous of my baby sister. At first they didn’t feel like family because we didn’t know each other. AS time went on we got very close and i got to know them. my sister and I became best friends and I enjoyed taking care of her. my brother and i love to play games and stuff together and we get along well. we have a very happy family. now i also don’t even realize that they are brown and I am white, i like that we are different and i just see them as my brother and sister!
                                      

                         The Best End
           
             It has been 7 years since the hospital and getting a new and better family. my life has changed in the best way possible and I am so happy to have a healthy 8 year old sister Jojo and 13 year old brother HENRY. when I see my brother and sitter I can’t believe they came from Africa I always say their my family from the same BLOOD because that’s how I think of them. when people tell me that they are not my family because they are adopted I tell them that even though they are adopted they are the best brother and sister ever and are family, families come in all different shapes sizes and colors and this is my family.

       

By Mekella Butterfield
  
     


Comments

Popular Posts